Tuesday 6 March 2012

Semiotic Analysis & Postmodernism In Relation To My Work

The Ugly Truth


The Ugly Truth is a romantic comedy movie, released in 2009. This is the poster of the movie which is full of semiotics. First of all, instead of a photo shoot with the main actors, they have taken a silhouette images of a female and male (mostly used on public toilet doors), placed a barrier between them and added a red heart image where they believe it belongs. The semiotic connotations of the hearts suggest that females are brainy and more sensible with how they love people, whereas males think more about the sexual side to relationships. This links to the gender theory. 

In terms of my own production work, I'm not using any symbols or signs therefore, semiotics doesn't relate to my work. However, I believe that my trailer is POSTMODERN. The genre of my trailer is romance, and the whole idea was to make it a complete cliche and pastiche of romantic movies. I have used a typical couple and made them be typically in love. This could also be seen as a hyperreality of what love is really like. The love in my trailer is hyped up. Therefore, my text is postmodern because it is a pastiche and uses hyperreality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment