Tuesday 20 March 2012

QR Code


This is an example of a postmodern semiotic advertisement, which I found on this website. A QR code is a form of barcode that can hold much more data than the traditional version, including links to videos and websites. QR codes have been around since the 1990s but have become increasingly popular in the UK in the last year or two because smart phones, such as the iPhone, are able to read them. 

The QR code shown above is strongly suggestive of the character's imprisonment. Her eyes gaze out from behind the code as if from behind the bard of a jail cell, while the framing of the image, the thick white margins either side of it and the way the name of the film and its starts are squared off so neatly all seem to contribute to boxing her in. She seems trapped behind the poster, rather than a part of it. This also links to the female gaze theory, which I learnt about in my foundation production. I think this QR code in particular links to this theory because the female character is looking pretty and innocent, like a stereotypical female would. 

I am not going to add a QR code into my work because I feel that technology has improved since they came out in the 1990s, and that is quite old in the media world. Although people with iPhones are able to adapt to them, my target audience may not necessarily own an iPhone and therefore it would be pointless adding a QR code for the sake of trying to be up to date with technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment